Thursday 9 June 2011

Nerd Boyfriend - a fab site for men's clothes!

AH GOOD OLD SWEDES..they pretty much epitomise the nerd boyfriend look, n'est pas?
This guy looks pretty cool reading




Here is and interview with the site's creator Roxana Altamirano;


Nerd Boyfriend is a site that makes all bloggers jealous. Such a simple and perfect idea for a fashion blog, from the name down to the concept, we all wish we had come up with it first. Its creator, Roxana Altamirano posts great photos of our favorite male icons, not only to showcase their style and attitude, but also where you can buy the same look. Without overstating it, Roxana shows not only what is great fashion, but how to find a style you’re comfortable with. In a time where art direction is more about curation and attitude rather than narrative, Nerd Boyfriend stands out as a perfect example and inspiration for others.

Tim Moore – Nerd Boyfriend is one of the go to sites for vintage and thrift store shoppers, would you say that’s where your style lies?
Roxana Altamirano - Yes, definitely. Even before Nerd Boyfriend, I would always try to recreate ensembles from different time periods. But I should say Nerd Boyfriend has heightned my appreciation for designer collections.

How often do you incorporate some of the items you promote into your own style?
Not often since I’m female, though I’m always been a fan of boyfriend button downs and jeans. Last year was actually an excellent year for women boyfriend clothes.

When you were starting the site did you have any other names in mind or was it always Nerd Boyfriend?
I had the domain first, and I was just going to start a photoblog of people I admired. But then I realized how stylish the fellas were and it developed into a fashion blog.

Has Nerd Boyfriend opened any doors for you?
Mostly guest blogger invitations, which I really enjoy.

These days, do you have a lot of people sending you photos or ideas?
Yes, and I use many of them. When I started, I only posted guys I was in love with, but there’s only so many of those. Now I need all the help I can get.

What’s the nerdiest thing you’re into?
There are so many for every possible definition of the word. In the most popular sense – chess, code, British comedy. I watch Charlie Rose and Frasier sometimes.

What current designer(s) do feel really line up well with your own sense of style?
I like Kolor, Our Legacy, Hermes, Rodarte, Yuketen.

What’s a more common mistake you see when it comes to men and their wardrobe: Someone trying too hard or someone not caring enough?
I would say trying too hard.

What do you think is one of the easiest things a guy can do to improve his look?
Like himself more.

A lot of the people you post on the site are / were very fashionable people in general. So what is usually that thing that first grabs your attention about a particular look or image?
How well it reflects the person’s character.

On average how many sites do you have to go through to find all the pieces to match a look?
30 or so. It feels like I always use the same handful, but I do look around.

I think my favorites from your site would have be Jim Henson, Woody Allen, and Harrison Ford, what have been some of yours?
Those are also mine! no joke. I would also include Bowie, McCartney, Grandmaster Flash and all the architects. Jim Henson is definitely my #1 – not for the fashion, but for what’s really important in a Nerd Boyfriend – a creative genius who seems incredibly kind.

Is there something about menswear in particular that keeps you interested above other kinds of fashion?
People say menswear is limited. I find it very diverse and always surprising.

(Visit Nerd Boyfriend at nerdboyfriend.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment